Swimming is a great activity to indulge in as the weather grows warmer. Whether you are at the lake or the community pool, water safety is always crucial. According to Safe Kids USA, drowning is the third leading cause of unintentional injury-related death among children ages 14 and under.
To enjoy water activities while keeping your family safe, here are a few safety tips to follow when around the water:
- Read the Rules – most people neglect the basics by ignoring the posted rules
- Watch out for the dangerous “too’s” – too tired, too cold, too far from safety, too much sun, and too much strenuous activity
- Set water safety rules for the whole family based on each person’s individual swimming abilities
- Be knowledgeable of the water environment you are in and its potential hazards (e.g., undercurrents, drop offs)
- Most importantly- ENJOY yourself!