Identity theft is one of the fastest growing crimes in America. Every year, 10 million people are victims of identity theft in the United States.
By keeping close tabs on your personal information and taking precautions, you can make it harder for someone to steal your information and use it illegally. Advancial Federal Credit Union offers the tips below to protect your information:
• Use a cross-cut shredder to shred all documents with personal information before discarding
• Keep any documents containing personal information in a secure, locked file cabinet
• Use electronic bill payment service and stop sending signed checks through the mail
• Sign up for direct deposit of your paycheck or other recurring payments
• Switch to eStatements, instead of receiving paper statements in the mail
• Keep passwords hidden and change them frequently
• Use and regularly update anti-virus, spy ware and firewall software
• Release your Social Security number only when absolutely necessary
• Provide personal information online only via a secure server. A secure server will have an “s” either in front of or following the “http”
• Review your credit report at least annually by visiting www.annualcreditreport.com
With three branches in the Houston Energy Corridor, Advancial Federal Credit Union offers assistance against identity theft. For more information on identity theft and Advancial services, visit www.advancial.org or call 281-679-1133.