It’s that time of year again when kids are preparing for a new school year. Whether it’s your child's first time in school or they are a returning student, we have some handy tips to help you prepare your child for the first day of school.
1) Save the date for tax free weekend.
Taking advantage of the tax free savings whenever possible can make for a better shopping experience especially when you plan ahead. Mark your calendars because the Texas tax free weekend for general merchandise is August 17-19, 2012 and applies to the following items:
- Clothing and footwear under $100
- School supplies under $100
- Backpacks under $100 for elementary and secondary students
- This Includes layaway items
Make sure you do your homework before spending your hard-earned cash by comparing prices one week ahead and by collecting valuable coupons. For a complete list of sales tax exempt merchandise visit the Texas Tax Free Weekend webpage.
2) Be sure to take note of your child’s first day of school using the list below.
Back-to-School Dates by School District
- Alief Independent School District- August 22, 2012
- Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District- August 27, 2012
- Fort Bend Independent School District- August 27, 2012
- Houston Independent School District- August 27, 2012
- Katy Independent School District- August 27, 2012
- Spring Branch Independent School District- August 27, 2012
3) Take advantage of free back-to-school immunizations.
No decision is more important than protecting your child from childhood diseases and the Harris County Hospital District is offering school immunizations every Tuesday and Thursday in August at its school-based clinics and comprehensive pediatric and adolescent health centers.
Officials urge parents to get vaccines early because of the expected rush of college students under the age of 30 needing the new state-required meningitis shot. Take advantage of free immunizations for newborns and children up to 18 years of age who are covered by CHIP, Medicaid or have no insurance.
Immunizations available from 1 – 3 p.m. on Tuesdays, (Aug. 7, 14 and 21) at these locations:
- Pediatric and Adolescent Health Center-Bear Creek, 5870 Highway 6, Suite 108, Houston, 77084
- Pediatric and Adolescent Health Center-Cypress, 12340 Jones Road, Suite 100, Houston, 77070
No appointment is needed and all vaccines are given on an availability basis. Parents should bring a current immunization record or any official communication from the school outlining required shots. For more information about the Harris County Hospital District’s school immunization program, call 713-873-TOTS (8687).