According to the Centers for Disease Control, flu activity most commonly peaks in January and February. With Houston’s unpredictable winter weather of 80 degrees one day and 50 degrees the next, it is important to keep the following tips in mind to avoid the dreaded flu:
- Everyone 6 months of age and older should take time to get vaccinated! The 2010-2011 flu vaccine will protect against three forms of influenza.
- Always cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
- Wash your hands often with soap and hot water.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- If you are sick, stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone.
Reminder: People at high risk for developing flu-related complications include children younger than 5, adults 65 years of age and older, and pregnant women.
For more information about the 2010-2011 flu season and tips to stay well, please visit www.cdc.gov.