Color in the heat of summer? You may scoff at the idea but “FlameProof for Texas” will make a believer out of you.
Each year over 3,000 plants are tested at the Dallas Arboretum Trial Gardens. The very best of those are awarded the “FlameProof™” plant award. This award is reserved for those plants that can take the Texas heat and thrive in Houston’s hot summers. These winners will look great in your garden up to the first frost.
If you are hoping to spruce up your flowerbeds this month, FlameProof plants include:
- Lobularia ‘Snow Princess’- Blooms fragrant white flowers and grows only 4” to 6” tall.
- Torenia ‘Catalina Midnight Blue’- Dark blue Snapdragon-like blooms on plants 8” to 16” tall.
- Coleus ‘Kingswood Torch’- Vivid dark foliage thrives in full to part sun.
- Coleus ‘Royal Glissade’- Light moss-green leaves with raspberry touches will tolerate full sun or part shade.
- Salvia ‘Mystic Spires’-True blue flowers attract butterflies and hummingbirds.
Don’t let the summer heat keep you from enjoying your garden. Visit www.mytexasgarden.com for more gardening tips, information and to become a member of Cornelius’ Garden Club!